Tuesday 19 August 2014

GRIEF

As a child I was constantly sticking my fingers in sockets and trying to figure out if grief had its own color
So my mother sat me down on the sofa and took out the Pantone book, paged through it for an hour until we found the blues. There, I said, that one, and pointed to cerulean. Oh honey, my mother replied, That’s not grief. That’s just a paint swatch and it will never amount to all the pain in your heart.
Sometimes I feel the urge to go wade out into the lake after filling my pockets with stones, but then I remember my father and how he wore his grief like a too-tight sweater, something given to an awkward child by a grandmother who doesn’t even know the right size, so I take the stones back out of my pockets and I place them on his grave instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment